Home > Politics > Belfast: Boris Johnson ‘deeply concerned’ after police attacked

Belfast: Boris Johnson ‘deeply concerned’ after police attacked

Lanark Way

PACEMAKER

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he is “deeply concerned” about scenes of violence in Northern Ireland.

Police were attacked, petrol bombs thrown and a bus set on fire in another night of disorder in Belfast.

“The way to resolve differences is through dialogue, not violence or criminality,” he said.

The disturbances took place on both sides of an interface in the loyalist Shankill and nationalist Springfield Road areas of the city on Wednesday.

Forty-one police officers were injured in disturbances in parts of Northern Ireland over the Easter period, involving children as young as 13.

The BBC’s Ireland correspondent Emma Vardy said crowds of a few hundred on each side were throwing petrol bombs in both directions on Wednesday night.

The disruption has been taking place close to where a number of loyalist protesters had earlier gathered.

Police confirmed a vehicle was set alight at the junction of Lanark Way and the Shankill Road in the west of the city.

1px transparent line

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

1px transparent line

Northern Ireland’s power-sharing Executive is to meet on Thursday morning to be briefed on what Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill denounced as “the violence and street disorder which is causing huge distress in local communities”.

“Those involved in violence, criminal damage, manipulation of our young people and attacks on the police must stop,” said Sinn Féin’s vice-president.

1px transparent line

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

1px transparent line

Police also confirmed they had received a report of an assault on a press photographer.

The Police Federation for Northern Ireland said the violence could “set our society back years”.

Calling for the ongoing street disorder to stop, PSNI Chief Constable Simon Byrne said he was “open to dialogue with anyone who is willing to work with me to resolve the issues facing our community”.

Addressing the rioters, he tweeted: “Go home before someone is seriously injured. Violence is not the answer.”

Drone footage shows the bus fire in the Shankill area

Hugh Pollock

First Minister Arlene Foster tweeted that the violence on Wednesday was “vandalism and attempted murder” and “do not represent unionism or loyalism”.

She said the actions “only serve to take the focus off the real law breakers in Sinn Féin”, and her thoughts were with the driver of the hijacked bus.

A line of police officers standing next to police jeeps on Wednesday night

Responding, Justice Minister Naomi Long of the Alliance Party said “these are ‘real law breakers’, burning buses, terrorising passengers and attacking police.

“Let’s focus on that and getting this stopped before someone loses their life.”

Ulster Unionist leader Steve Aiken said the violence was “unacceptable and unjustified”.

“If it does not stop now the risk is being run of someone being seriously injured or killed.”

Bus burning in Belfast

Pacemaker

Taoiseach (Irish PM) Micheál Martin tweeted that he “utterly condemned” the violence adding: “Now is the time for the two governments and leaders on all sides to work together to defuse tensions and restore calm.”

Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney said the scenes were “very disturbing” and that “attacks on police, journalists and citizens must be condemned by all”.

“There are peaceful, democratic and legal channels to address all issues and concerns. Calm and positive leadership needed from all,” he said.

The attack on the press photographer, Kevin Scott from the Belfast Telegraph, took place on Cupar Way at 18:05 BST.

Speaking to BBC News NI, Mr Scott said he was “annoyed and shocked to have been targeted”.

“I cover everything as fairly and impartially as possible, working at both sides of the community covering both the positive and the not so positive,” he said.

“I won’t be deterred from covering stories that are important and note-worthy.”

The camera belonging to photographer Kevin Scott with visible scuff marks

Kevin Scott

NI Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said the hijacking and attack on a bus was “sickening”.

“Those responsible for this and ongoing attacks on the PSNI need to stop,” she tweeted.

She told the BBC: “My thoughts are with the bus driver who was caught up in this incident.

“He is understandably very shaken but thankfully he wasn’t hurt, and thankfully there were no passengers on this particular bus.”

The scene of a loyalist protest at Lanark Way in west Belfast

A number of Belfast services, including the Glider buses, have been suspended.

The police and political parties have repeatedly called for calm, with the Easter disturbances blamed on loyalist frustrations over a Public Prosecution Service decision not to prosecute anyone who attended the large-scale funeral of republican Bobby Storey in June 2020, as well as concerns about the NI Protocol in the Brexit deal.

The leaders of the Democratic Unionist Party, (DUP) Ulster Unionist Party (UUP), Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) and Progressive Unionist Party (PUP) have said the position of Chief Constable Simon Byrne is untenable over the PSNI’s handling of the funeral.

It was attended by a number of senior Sinn Féin politicians, including the deputy first minister.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

BBC News – UK Politics

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *